Monday, January 8, 2007

New Training Schedule

I have decided to sign up and do the Mardi Gras Mambo 10K in February. I wanted to post a link to their site but appears that Blogger has other plans (I've tried it like ten times and it always screws it up). Because I have never run more than 5 miles at one time, I decided to try out a new training plan for a 10K. You can find it at runnersworld.com if you want to check it out. The workouts are definitely more intense than what I am used to and it will take a lot of effort and initiative on my part to stick with it but I have high hopes!

Today is a rest day for my training and I was going to go swimming this morning but I woke up feeling extremely groggy--damn late night television! I'll try to go this afternoon or tonight but because the indoor pool closes at 6:00, I might have to pull a joggerblogger and swim in the outdoor pool in 40 degree weather...brrr :/

I recently read a tip on the Runners World website that said if you lace your shoes backwards then it will alleviate pain on the top of the foot. I have had some pain on the top of my foot that feels like it is bruised but I never thought it had anything to do with the pressure from the laces. Has anyone ever had this pain before and do the backwards laces really work?

5 comments:

Molly said...

ok i know that the link for runners world is not right but i am not changing it for fear that blogger will scrap my whole post!

Phil said...

Hey good luck with your training for the race. I enter a race at least once a month if I can it’s a huge motivator for me. What sort of time are you looking at getting?

[rich] said...

Good luck on the training plan - it's good to mix it up a bit. I used a plan from Hal Higdon's website the other month:

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kinter.htm

I also read one of his books :-) very good.

Molly said...

right now i'm really focused on just finishing but i think as the training progresses i might have a better idea of the time i want...i'm hoping under 55 minutes that would be amazing!

Ashley Chin said...

Yes, lacing does make a difference, especially if you have high/er arches. I skip every other eyelet and that helps alleviate the pressure a great deal. Oh, I also use a "lace lock" method at the top to prevent heel slippage.
Have fun with your new training program. I'm starting intervals myself next week. Ouch!