Sunday, February 25, 2007

Mardi Gras Marathon 5K

I know it has been a while--two weeks I think--but i'm still trying to get in the groove of teaching. Every morning I wake up with every intention of running in the afternoon, but between being exhausted and having random meetings, I just can't find the time. What a lame excuse!!

However, I did get my tired, lazy butt up this morning to run the Mardi Gras Marathon 5K in New Orleans (Thanks David for the suggestion!). Last night I wasn't sure if I was going to run it even though I paid the registration fee because there was supposed to be some bad weather headed this way. Fortunately, the Baton Rouge and New Orleans area didn't get hit too bad...well from what I could see.

So here is the breakdown of my first running/race day in two weeks:
Woke up at 5:00 am took my meds and vitamins (I'm trying Centrum Endurance for the first time). Left Baton Rouge around 5:15 and arrived in NOLA around 6:40. Parked in the Superdome parking garage--thank god for free parking--picked up my bib, chip, and tshirt and finally sat down on a curb and watched the marathoners and halfers take off. Took a short nap on same curb then took my spot amongst the small mass of 5Kers. I started the race at a slow and steady pace then decided that I would bust a gut for this race. Got about a little more than half way done and thought I was almost at the end so silly me took off sprinting only to find out I had about another 1.4 miles to run. When I finished I had that post run nausea you get when you try to run really fast when you haven't run in two weeks :-/ Managed to keep last night's dinner in its proper place while I returned my chip and sulked over my 30:00 finish time--man I thought I was flying...I demand a recount! Finally, I jumped in my car and was home around 9:30 with a cool race medal to show off to my friends...YAY!

Distance: 3.1 miles/5K
Time: 30:24
Pace: ???? freaking ipod didn't even save my info!
Calories: probably not enough
Tunes: Some Regina Spektor and a little bit of great 80's as always :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Laissez Les Bon Temps Roule!!

[rich] said...

:-) Good to hear you're back out running. I've noticed in races the mile markers seem to get further apart near the end of the race :-P

Molly said...

yeah they do! thanks for the welcome back :)

David said...

Good on you to try racing without having run much lately. It will humble you a little but, hopefully, inspire you to get out there more regularly.

Here's hoping!

Ashley Chin said...

Wasn't the weather awesome! I did the half, it was just enough. I was glad not to have to do the whole, as it was pretty warm by the time we were done. Good job getting over here to race!

Faithful Soles said...

Molly, good job on the 5K even though you had not run for a couple of weeks. Hopefully your schedule is getting more settled down for you.

On a side note, I wanted to thank you again for linking to our running Blog Database on the main Faithful Soles web site, which has now grown to bloggers from 38 states in the USA and 21 other countries.

[rich] said...

Hope your keeping well :-) how's the teaching and running going?