Sunday, February 11, 2007

Best Loop in Baton Rouge

The loop around the LSU lakes is probably the most scenic loop in Baton Rouge...that I know of at least. It was beautiful this morning and there were quite a few walkers/runners out. I brought my camera along to capture the scenery, but my pictures never seem to come out as good as they are in real life.

I wish I had more zoom on my camera--this picture would have been really neat if I had one of those mega cameras with 200x zoom. For all of you who are wondering what in the world those tiny specks of black are...they are birds on a log...wait isn't that some type of culinary dish?

And this is the Baton Rouge Beach...LOL! Yeah, for the longest time I always thought the BR Beach was some huge beach area near the river, but here it is. It is mostly used as a dumping ground for used condom wrappers, needles, cigarette butts, and other miscellaneous trash. Note the construction in the background...since Katrina Baton Rouge has had a major real estate boom...great for Baton Rouge, not so great for me--rent increases :(
And this folks is a pelican...our state bird. As you can guess, the LSU Lakes are filled with a variety of species of bird. Again, this would have been a much better picture if I had more zoom, but I can't fret over the small stuff...ehh.

There are more pictures from my run today, but posting pictures is tedious (this is an excuse of a LAZY person). If you want to check them out go to my Flickr account.


I did a slow 5.5 miles and made frequent stops to take some pics so this run was extremely easy. However, my legs are a little sore, and my knees felt a little stiff after the run. I guess my legs are in shock from not running all week. There was an article in Runner's World this month that discusses the complexity of the knee and how much stress runner's can put on their knees. Well, I don't put as much stress on them as some, but I'm always weary of minor knee pain. I would hate to have a knee injury and then have to do swimming or bicycling or some other cross training sport that is not as wonderful as running...blah!

Distance: 5.73 miles

Time: 1:03

Pace: 10:58 min/mi

Calories: 597

Tunes:

Reason is Treason-Kasabian

Hurts so Good-John Cougar Mellencamp

Mercedes Benz-Janis Joplin

Move Over-Janis Joplin

Piece of My Heart-Janis Joplin

Down on Me-Janis Joplin

Trouble in Mind-Janis Joplin

Centerfold-J. Geils Band

The Power of Love-Huey Lewis and the Newsboys

Samson-Regina Spektor

Fidelity-Regina Spektor

6 comments:

David said...

Looks like a great place to run.

One of my run mates is coming your way soon to run the New Orleans marathon. Are you going to run the 5K?

Molly said...

oooh didn't even know they had a 5K...yeah i may have to do that

[rich] said...

"Used as a dumping ground for used condom wrappers, needles, cigarette butts, and other miscellaneous trash" - sounds like you have been coming over and doing my lunchtime course :-D

Love the photos - It's always better with a few pictures thrown in the mix.

Anonymous said...

I fancy a super zoom lense camera gadget as well, but I'm sure it wouldn't be that great for running with.

Unknown said...

Mercedes Benz from Janis in the mix, that has been a fave of mine for perhaps longer than I care to admit!

Faithful Soles said...

Hi from Houston. I've been on the same route when I've gone to Baton Rouge, and if that hotel in the picture is the Marriott (or maybe now the Hilton, I think it might have changed hands), I've stayed in it.

If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles. I have a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database on there and would appreciate it if you would link your blog to it. Good luck in your training towards your race goals.